Saturday, January 10, 2015

10-3-98 Sa 12:23 PM
Is "the pursuit of happiness" really in the Declaration of Independence?  Can that be a foundation for a nation?
I asked Thing if he was still thinking of moving in November.  "I don't know.  It's almost the end of the year."  I wasn't sure what that meant.  It sounds like "Not really." 
I said, "Shirelle's pushing.  I don't know how much longer I can hold her off." 
"So you think you're really gonna take the plunge with Shirelle?" he asks.
"I don't know what's the alternative?"
"Will you be happy?"
I shrugged.  I wondered what's that got to do with Shirelle.  I said, "Counting on other people to make you happy is the best way I know to make yourself unhappy.  Happiness is a random occurrence."
His whole face blinked.

"No, I didn't know Steve McQueen was on the Manson family hit list."

I called Shirelle to see if she might want to give me a ride to the batting cages or the driving range.  She was talking more like dinner and a movie.  We reached an impasse.  A subtle impasse.  No one said anything for a while.  A plane buzzed overhead.  "Whose move is it?" I asked.
"Well, I said 'How about dinner?' and you said, 'No,' and I said, 'What about a movie?' and you said, 'No,'" she said.
"Well, I thought I was talking about getting some exercise."

I clipped the nails on one hand but not the other. 

Steve got into biplanes.  His father was a pilot, so he wanted to be a pilot.  "I gotta find a place for me to go for my personal salvation.  I went and sat by his bedside and it was a pitiful sight to see.  There was a loaded .45 on the nightstand.  He said, "Don't worry, even though my body is dying, my spirit is gone." 

The Cubs and the Braves are coming on soon.       "Deep down inside, I think he was a good man."     Or is it the Sox and the Indians?      She just called again.  It is the Sox.  I think I'll go put on my "End the Curse" shirt.  Saberhagen vs. Nagy.  Guess I'll drink a beer, too.  Maybe I should get on the treadmill first.      "What's up, Mo?  What're you gonna do in the off-season?"
"Mo said, 'I ain't thinking about no off-season.'"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home