Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Close to Greatness

W 8:05 AM 9-23-98
Today is the first day of autumn.  Makes you want to write a haiku, or maybe a cinquain.  But I've been studying for my game show to the exclusion of all artistic impulses.  I didn't write a word yesterday (Well, I wrote my lesson play for the week, and I wrote lessons on the chalkboard).  I wanted to write in my journal at lunch, but I'd forgotten it at home.  After school, I just studied.  I didn't feel like typing, not even for fifteen minutes.  I walked to Wilshire Hill, reading Trivial Pursuit cards, and I walked a mile and a half down Pico reading cards the whole way.  Ted Roosevelt was the youngest president.  Lincoln the tallest.  The Plaka is an old section of Athens.  Lacrosse is the national sport of Canada.  John Ford won the most Best Director Oscars with four.  Agathie Christie has had more books brought to the screen than any other writer with eighteen.  Edward Teller is known as the Father of the H-Bomb.
I couldn't go to my doctor's appointment yesterday because my car has got some new fuckup that I'm not even sure how to begin to unfuckup.     I have to take care of some clerical crap at recess today.  Try to get some books I need, drop off some papers to the office, make some copies.  Ugh.  At lunch, I've got to try to skip lunch.  Study my desk reference.  I've got to clean my desk.  I've got to go to LA High after school.  I have to write checks for my bills TODAY and put them in the mail.     A lot of crapola.     What else?     I saw a man on the street with a toothpick behind his ear.  What else? / 10:17 AM  I went down to Ms. Lubert's office to try to get the books I need, but she's not here today.  I did get the library time that I like, though.  Friday morning at 9:10.
9-24-98 Th 11:45 AM
I'm at the Mediterranean place on La Brea.  I ordered a schwarma plate.  It's a gloomy-looking day.  The fall is upon us.  If I win on Jeopardy, maybe I can join the Paolina Boxing Club.  I need to win a few nights.      I didn't have any breakfast this morning.  Man, am I dull.  I'm wearing the Spiderman tie Thing gave me.  There are nineteen mammalian orders.
9-26-98 Sa 7:02 AM
No Jeopardy tonight because they're showing college football, so I'm watching a History Channel documentary about the Roman Empire while I wait for Shirelle.  I have to go with her to her girlfriend's birthday party in Torrance.  Demona's mom owns a Greek restaurant there.  Carlin's having a catered party downstairs.  We saw the Picasso show at LACMA today.  It was crowded and we kind of rushed through it, but I was still inspired for a little while.  Shirelle's all fucked in the head like she gets for these social things like it's the prom or something.  And now she's getting high, so she'll probably get even more boorishly irritating.  Gagarin and Weena are coming to pick us up.  I felt close to greatness at Picasso.  Whatever.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home