Sunday, March 15, 2015

10-20-98 Tu 8:15 AM
The bell is going to ring any minute now.  Antwon, Kayleco, Vincent, and two kids I don't know are "playing computers."  I just read that I cannot transfer my trip.  Maybe~~~~~Antwon is playing a word game where it gives a definition, and you have to guess the right word by shooting it down.  "Oh, Mr. Zurn, this is you: 'to speak in a gruff, angry voice.'" Humph.  The answer was 'growl.'  OK.  Anyway, as I was saying maybe I ought to walk up to H&R Block and ask about some tax consultations  9:10 AM What else?  Now the kids are working on a practice test.  They're mostly good kids, but none too bright.  A couple of 'em...Anyhow...  Hmmm.  It's kind of hard to think in here.  Our new assistant principal, Mr. Herschel, seemed cool until he referred to himself in the third person repeatedly--though maybe since it's his first day, he was only trying to get his name across.  What else?  Clear blue sky out the window.  Extra dry October air.  High pressure system.  I have to arrange for airfare to Spokane, departing LA 12-23 and returning 12-26.  I should mark up some student work.  Daniel, who was hit in the head with a stray bullet, and Rick, who was born without a left ear, are two of the best students in the class.  What else?  I'm struggling for inspiration.  Maybe I should take up smoking again.  What else?  I have to correct these dumb tests.  I'd like to eat.  12:30 PM  Ugh  Went to KFC.  I'm bloated.  Anna Senorvilla.  Whatever.  Nevermind.  The kids are reading the scary stories book.  They eat that stuff up. 
10-21-98 W
10-22-98 Th 5:55 PM
One little puff and things on the way to work seemed interesting.  I'd been concentrating on the facts for so long, and it occurred to me what slippery things they are, and that concentrating on them is to overlook the random and the disordered, prompting a kind of inobservance in which in learning too much, you learn less. 
At the time I could have gone on for pages and pages, but now it will all be mere summary.  At any rate, I thought of my father, in whose mind facts are always indisputable things, true or false only, one way or the other, with no in-between, the only way to achieve and maintain honor.  But I am a warbler. My mantra became a realization that "cool" is a degree of malleability.  Ugh.  When I get home I have to call my sister who was an emotional wreck at the prospect of paying airfare to see our father.  I have until eleven to confirm reservations or not.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home