Sunday, February 22, 2015

October 14, 1998 Wed.  10:50 AM
Well, so I went on "Jeopardy!" yesterday.  Ugh.  I only won one game.  I went into Final Jeopardy in the second game winning by two thousand.  I had been down four thousand at one point, but came stormin' back, that's right "stormin'", in Double Jeopardy to take the lead.  The Final Jeopardy category was "T.V."  I had $8,800.  The guy in second place, a seven-foot Lurch, had $6,800.  I had to bet $6800.  The answer was something like this:  This talk show began as the "A.M. Chicago Hour" before going national in 1985."  I wrote "What is 'Good Morning America?'" though, I was pretty sure that couldn't have been right.  Lurch, from Decatur, Illinois, would afterward tell us how he used to watch the "AM Chicago" hour, and so knew that the correct question was "What is 'The Oprah Winfrey Show?'" and so Lurch went home with my $14,000.  I won $13,700 in the first game and got an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bahamas for coming in second in the second game.  The trip is valued at $6,600.  So, the total value of cash and prizes comes to $20,200.  Not bad for one day's work.  What'll it do to my taxes, though?  Anyway, I made enough to pay off my credit cards. It was funny.  In the first game, I kept asking God to help, but in the second game, I started thinking God would think I was greedy, so I asked Him to let whoever needed it most to win.  Now I wish I would have thought of Oprah.  Shit.  Well, at least I can go back to writing instead of studying.  I didn't make enough to quit my night school job.  Pity.  When it's all said and done, I'm up to zero.  But I won't have to send a $1,000 check to MasterCard each month anymore. 
Shirelle stopped in for lunch.  She's upset because I said I'm going to Carlsbad this weekend and because we don't live together, etc. etc.  What else?  I've got six extra kids today because a sub for Mrs. Lewis didn't show up.  My kids are kind of noisy.  Bernice invited me out to the Derby with her friends last night.  I had to tell her I was too tired.  She said, "I was going to buy you some drinks."  Then she said, "Wait a minute, you're the one who just one thirteen thousand dollars.  You should be buying me drinks."  I went to bed.  It's a bittersweet victory.  I ate a ham and cheese croissant from the donut shop.  Maybe I'll show the kids this "Magic Voyage" video about Columbus.  I think it's a lot of crap, though.  There's supposed to be an actress coming at 1:45 today, a Ms. Diaz, from "Bookpals," to read to the kids.  I would like to smoke a j when I get home.  I wish I could have won enough to quit my job. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home