Monday, August 17, 2020

2-21-00 M 1:12 PM
 It's President's Day.  Rochelle and I are sitting in San Francisco International Airport awaiting the boarding call for our flight back to Los Angeles. We flew in on a prop plane to Spokane over the moonlit snow.  My dad greeted us posing as a backwoods hick wearing a fur cap and screwy teeth, and my stepmother had shoved a pillow under her shirt so she would look pregnant.  I was tired and smarting still from court, but it was nice to see a little humor.  We stayed up and talked a while before we went to bed.  The next morning, what?  We had toast and coffee and looked over The Spokesman and went to Sears.  My dad sprang for a new refrigerator as a wedding present. It'll be delivered Tuesday next.  We drove around Coeur D'Alene and went to a Mongolian BBQ for lunch.  Then we went to Grandma's for a while and then back to my dad's.  The Chessy's came over and some law-and-order bitch who was incredulous that we live on Hudson.  "Isn't it all black?" she asked.  Joan cooked lasagna for dinner.  Donny, the retired fireman, and his wife came over for chocolate cream pie.  When everyone left, we went to bed. 

"We're burning daylight," my dad woke us with Sunday morning around 8:30."Oklahoma" was on TV.  Joan made pancakes.  We read the paper.  My dad was quizzing me about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do in North Idaho.  How would I know?  We ended up driving through Nazi country to Sand Point and had Burger King.  Ha!  We walked along Main Street.  It had its charm.  Stopped in some Christmas store and gallery.  I wanted to go into one of the bars for a beer, but it didn't seem worth trying.  We drove back, got Grandma, and went to the Coeur D'Alene Lake Resort for dinner.  I had roast pork.  Rochelle had trout.  After dinner, we stopped at Grandma's house for a bit.  Rochelle and I looked through her old photo albums with pictures from the thirties and from Grandpa's visits to the Eskimos in Greenland during the war.  Back at my dad's, we played Miles Bourne until about 10:30 and then went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home