Saturday, July 14, 2012

  Tu July 22 11:53 AM
Back in room thirty-three at Leo Politi, fighting my irritation with the flat-out idiocy of ten-year-old boys.  There's nothing to write about.  I put in the National Geographic Fiftieth Anniversary Special.  Lunch is in twenty minutes.  I think of going to the place on Wilshire that Miguel pointed out that his dad likes.  I finished reading the newspaper.  The crossword puzzle was hard.  I barely filled in half.  I did my fifteen minutes and my '92 page before work.  I left Shirelle's around 6:15 this morning.  The city seemed strange under the muted gray light; there weren't enough cars out there.  I was parked by Plummer Park.  I have to call the DMV after school and write a page in the third person.  Then it's off to night school.    I haven't felt like teaching at all lately.  When I get home tonight, I will work with Jim and Aaron for an hour.
Jim and Aaron.  Aaron and Jim.   Fuck.  bzurt ick ack ock urk frizt.  What? What?  It's supposed to rain some today.  Monsoonal moisture from southern Mexico. 
Now I'm at the counter at Tiny's Island Cafe on Wilshire at Virgil.  I ordered a French dip with French fries.  Looks like a business crowd.  I'm only drinking water.  I brought an apple to school with me, but it was mushy in places and smelled bad, so I tossed it. I ate a few dates. 
There is no Easy Street.  There's nothing to draw in here.  My head is empty.  I have no thought, no idea.  There's my beef dip.  Shall I dip my fries in mayo?  I read about Angel thirdbaseman Dave Hollins and his type 1 diabetes in the sports section of the Times today.  Ya really gotta watch yer  diet.        The grill sizzles.  The tone of conversation is strictly business, except for emphatic Koreans.    Oldies tunes pipe in from ceiling speakers, the Supremes at the moment.  I am the only man in here out of dozens not wearing a tie.  I feel salt grains under my forearms on the hard flat pink countertop.  My sandwich is in me.  I could eat two more.  The waitress has taken it away except for four drops of Au jus of varying sizes on the counter and a bit of beef.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home