Sunday, March 12, 2023

 1-24-01 W 1:45 PM

I didn't have time to write a full fifteen minutes this morning. I had to settle for about six minutes. I packed some peanut butter and jellies and drove to school on rain-soaked streets. I picked up the kids in the auditorium. Mrs. Colbert hissed at me. The kids read their poems about dreams to the class. Then we checked our phonics pages. Since it was raining at recess, we stayed in and watched the end of "Tarzan." Good film. Quite enjoyable. I couldn't read the sports during recess because I was watching "Tarzan." After recess, we did a logic paper comparing numbers. Then we had a lesson on "Ten Thousands and Hundred Thousands." At lunch, Elayne Horowicz asked me to help her with a gran that Harvard asked her to write. I resented it, but I went. Some nonsense about getting the Douglas Foundation to improve our playground. Great, but are we are supposed to write this thing when? On our time. Sorry, but don't have any more time I can give but what I'm already giving. Meanwhile, the paper reports that our union has negotiated a pay raise of twelve percent over three years. Rochelle wants to move. I'm clinging to LA. Ugh. I have to start researching other districts. You know the biggest reason I don't want to move? I'll miss the bars. I'll miss The Bounty and El Coyote and Cheetahs and Dublins and more. In LA, I feel some path running to greatness, if I could just find it. Corona, Cucamonga, Rancho Santiago? They sound like consecration to Purgatory. Maybe it will be an idyllic life in the suburbs, with isolation to write, but I worry it might further reduce my freedoma and squash Rochelle and Ada and me together. It's the same fear I have about going overseas to teach.

I have to go straight to night school to check on the banners. Hopefulluy, I'll have time after that to finally go to the post office. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Have go get keys at Hoover, ask about Wilton Place time cards, pick up the fax at LA High. There must be more. Starting to think about a haircut. I'm hungry. Got Crossing to read. Third-person page. Guitar. The storm has passed. The sky is blue, but the air is still cool. I've got a Taurine craving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home