Tuesday, June 04, 2019

Throes of Hype


10-27-99 5:12 PM W
I’m at home in the living room, sitting on the couch, writing in this journal on the coffee table.  Game four of the World Series is going through the throes of its pre-game hype as the Yanks attempt to close out a sweep of the Braves behind Roger Clemens.  The Rocket with take on Atlanta ace John Smoltz.  Meanwhile, I walked around the room closing windows as the first chill of fall seems finally to be blowing in this late afternoon. Against that chill and a heavy drowse have I brewed a pot of coffee from which I’m sipping a mugful as I write.  I’ve also got some Triscuits and bleu cheese to munch on.  I have to leave for school in about twenty minutes.  I’ll need a sweater for that bike ride tonight.  My sister Bernice wants me to take over the lease on her Honda before she moves to Chicago to work for United Airlines.  I may very well do it.  I read the news today.  – A perfect first for Clemens – Skipped lunch.  Took Miss Villasenor’s class so she could individually assess her kids according to district policy.  I read them a version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Most of my third graders wanted to hear it, but the first graders were all giggly, making it difficult to sustain the mood.  I put that book of Ring Lardner shorts in my pack, but I haven’t gotten a chance to read it.  Paul O’Neill’s father died last night.  He’s the New York right fielder.  That’s not going to be a very fun World Series celebration for him if they win. [colored-pencil etching of the tropics from the cover of Caribbean]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home