Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tuesday December third
I finished the last book in less than a month. I've done ten since November '95. Six hundred pages! Today we put down a brick sidewalk in front of little Yucatan Market in a Salvadoran neighborhood, at Pico and Catalina. We dug the dirt level and mixed the concrete and laid the bricks. It was good work. A woman was so happy with the improvement, she made us pupusas, and we ate in her pupuseria. An Indonesian girl named Lili and a Czech-born girl worked with us. Hugo was the supervisor. I was telling Baja stories. Hugo said it was like a movie. When I would stop, they would ask me what happened next. The Czech told about getting a BMW stuck in the red mud in a Swaziland game preserve. She needed some dental floss, I observed. Hugo told the girls he could go all night long after he ate oysters. A young man came in with a Playboy bunny tattoo on his forearm. When he left, Hugo said he was with 18th Street Gang. It was a clean cool day. I think the gangbanger said excuse me as he walked out. I read about Amory's first encounter with Elanor in the rain on a haystack in the dark. I wonder if Zelda was the model for her.
Tomorrow I'm subbing for Alice Shiff who has a student teacher. I should be able to see the paper and do another entry in here and read and comment on some student stories. Tomorrow I'll have to finish my cruise ship jacker story. They critiqued Jim last night. It was embarrassing. I got mostly positive reactions, but there were those that couldn't stand it, couldn't finish it, were lukewarm. Rogeve and Jim complained it was racist, offensive and homophobic.
My teeth are sharp today. They are cutting my tongue and inner lip. It's hard to pick which trivial little bit of information to report next. I have cement boogers. Shirelle's bringing out a slice of pumpkin pie. Ron said to take his couch and gumball machines. I though he said all the plants too, but he came home just now and wanted them, so I brought them all back downstairs. I had a little nap today for maybe an hour. I think I can stay up til 11:30 or midnight. I got a letter from my gramma from the Coast Starlight Express. Guess I'll do fifteen now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home