Monday, April 30, 2007

The Razor's Edge

4-11-96

The lowering sun shines directly onto these pages through the window at this writing. I saw Mr. Rockwood today. He was my journalism instructor the semester I wrote for the school paper. I miss having a writing assignment and a public forum every month. I empahsized humor then. I enjoyed the compliments I got from teachers and students. Now it's all done in a vaccuum.

I drove to my class today. I forgot that there's no class this week since some teachers are on spring break. And of course I got stuck in a traffic jam on the way home and my car over-heated.

I finished The Razor's Edge today. I don't know what to say about it. It wasn't boring, but the only thing compelling was to see how Larry's quest for God would come out, as pretentious as that might seem to be. The other characters, Elliot, Isabel, et al, are unaccoutnable bores, superfluous to the central them of Larry's quest. On the first page, Maughm says the book is about Larry, but it's more about the people he knew. I suppose this is realistic and worthwhile, but unsatisfactory in its lack of conflict.
It's interesting that Maughm himself is in the novel. The narrator is the author.
I remember having had this feeling of the Knowledge of God which Larry describes near the end, atop his peak in India, when I was first getting high in college, this encompassing of the absolute. The feeling seemed real and definite at the time, and I've had glimpses of it since in certain travels and bedtime thoughts and childhood memories, but now lately, this memory is more like a postcard I send myself from the past. In this day and age, the pursuit of God is a luxury few can afford.

What else?

Peter Lee came over the other night. We went over to Dimona's and Oliver's and met Shirelle and smoke and drank and played seven card stud well into the night. I walked the six miles home.

I took Glory and David and Jimmy to the Dodger game last night. They enjoyed themselves and so did I. The Dodgers beat the World Champion Braves nine to two.

I whapped a wasp's nest with a broom today and smashed it good and killed them all.

Be squee karee pee

The teacher next door is driving me nuts.

I wonder if any of that nasty wine is left in the fridge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home