Sunday, April 10, 2011

Apr 29 Tu 2:20 Staff meeting in Cathy Ravel's room. Squeezing my butt cheeks to hold back potentially embarrassing fart. I have a painful hang nail and some irksome bug bites on my finger. I spoke with Pam this morning about my leaving, and she was very nice about it and said I can count on her support though she doesn't want me to go. Uh, now what? I printed up some stuff that will be suitable for furthering the next scene of Jim. They're waiting for my desk to be plugged in. I still haven't located the original entry I was looking for that was written four years ago or so. Judy is presenting a survey of a grant our school got. PBS is here filming a documentary. Now I'm at night school class teaching English to newly-arrived mostly Spanish-speaking immigrants. Most of them are here illegally, likely. They wait after class to ask me all kinds of questions. They really respect teachers. They see me as a lawyer...I asked Joshephine why she came here. She said, "A conocerla," which is like "to experience it." I have to admire that. They're working on an independent translation exercise of matching sentences. There's still almost an hour to go. There's five minutes to work on this exercise, then we'll go over it together for ten minutes. Then they'll have fifteen minutes to answer the questions. Then we'll spend about fifteen minutes going over that together. Then we'll read a story. There's not much to write that I didn't already write during my fifteen minutes. Maybe I should go walk around the class to see how they're doing. A helicopter buzzes overhead. What else? The days are getting longer. Getoff says let's get together and write and record some songs. Why does that sound so foreign to me? Florencio said that I'm a good teacher. Pam said she would support my wish to change schools. I'm feeling a little emotional about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home