Thursday, January 08, 2009

Thursday Halloween
Principal Cicada chose me to go to a seminar at the county office of education in Downey about the latest research on how the brain learns. It was clear and cool driving there this morning. The mountains seemed magnified like you were looking at them through binoculars. I was glad to be driving though the outlying communities of LA. Southgate and Downey are an amalgam of the industrial and suburban. It seems to be eternally the seventies. The strip mall cocktail lounges with no windows, the two story motels and apartments arranged around parking lots. Everything is plain and straight. I was about forty-five minutes ahead of schedule, so I stopped at a Denny's on Firestone and got coffee and the American Slam breakfast: Three eggs over-medium, two bacon slices, two sausages, hashbrowns, and I got a side of biscuits and gravy, plus an order of sourdough toast. My eggs were a lot runnier than over-medium, but I enjoyed them anyway.
The institute offered strategies for teaching more in accordance with the latest research about different ways the brain thinks. At lunch I called Jeff and Nina, since they live in nearby Bellflower. They gave me directions to their apartment on Clark between Alondra and the Ninety-One. They gave me a Pacifico and some pot in a pipe shaped like the Tao.
"How come when I went trick-or-treating I never found any of those houses where they put acid in the candy?" I said.
In the car on the way back to the seminar, I heard a sound byte on the radio for Channel 2 Action News: "Could someone you know be hiding a drug problem? Many professionals are addicted to drugs. We'll tell you what to look for."
My principal sat right next to me. I tried to breathe the other way.

The computer glimmers when the microwave is on.

Will there be many freaks on the streets in Hollywood tonight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home