Sunday, March 23, 2008

Weak Fishing and Whiskey River

Tu Aug 20
We hiked along down the edge of a cliff to the river. The guy with his family camping next to us directed us across the meadow to the trail. We wound along past piles of horse dung. The trail was narrow and rocky. Steep below us the river ran clean and blue and white. At the bottom we came to a shallow reedy lake and cast in our lines. We reeled in some small ones and let them go. After a while we hiked another mile or so beyond the mile or so we'd already done and came to a bridge over the river. Again, no sizable fish. After less than an hour we walked back to the reedy lake and fished there some more, and then went back up the trail. A dog passed us. We came upon four women our age, small talked with them a little, and walked on discussing our missed oppurtunity. Back at camp, Mac lobbied for another trip to Vons, forty-five miles back in town. I gave him another 30 bucks. We bought more alcohol. We drove back to Minaret Falls, this time. Still no sizable fish. I broke my line on a branch and sat down on the bank to tie a new hook. When I was done I walked a good while bushwhacking through the high thick cottonwood and came to a small calm tributary, where a little brook was leaping from the water, gorging himself on the little flies buzzing above the surface. I reached into my pocket for my can of bait. It wasn't there. Left it back where I'd changed my hook. Dejected, I walked back. I found Mac, and Peachtree and Angel. I got a beer from the chest. We crossed the river on a log and I rolled a cigarette and watched our shadows stretch across the rocky bank until they were overtaken by the larger shadow of the mountain which crept over them as the sun set behind it. We went from there up to Red's Meadow and showered at the hot springs telling Beavis and Butthead jokes while we dried off. Back at camp we cooked hot dogs on sticks over the open fire and heated some chili in a pot and raved over our chili dogs. Then we drove up to Whiskey River bar and restaurant in Mammoth and listened to the band. I ordered myself a bourbon and a beer for Angel. The barmaid's face was bright and warm. I stayed with her through a couple more bourbons. When she went on her break, I sat by the dance floor with Peach and Mac. I asked a Miss Piggy-looking chick if she liked to dance, and she did, so we did. Just one song then she quit on me. I asked her friend if she liked to dance. She was better looking with nicer tits. She said when the mood was right and that at the moment it wasn't. I crossed the floor to two girls sitting by themselves and asked them if they cared to join me. I boogied until I was out of breath. The two girls who had turned me down came out to dance next to us. The band took a break. I drank a few glasses of water. A couple bought my brother Mac a couple shots of tequila, and he went into the bathroom and puked. I had set up a tab and when I came to the bar again, Mac was ordering a couple of drinks for him and Miss Piggy on my tab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home