Friday, October 09, 2009

12-29-96
I'm trying to slow down the day by just not changing the numbers, but it doesn't work. Getoff was making brandy alexenders downstairs while the football games were on, and I read the paper. There was an article in the Travel section about what to do on New Year's Eve 1999: Cruises to the South Pacific dateline, stuff like that. Carlin and I postulated theories for why men don't cry as much as women. It would be boring to write. I told of a day in Cerritos when my parents were still married, and I fell to the sidewalk while climbing over the rickety wood-post fence, and I screamed and cried. My father came running out of the house, intense blue eyes in red face. "What happened?" He looked me over. Not a mark. "I thought you had been stabbed," he said angrily. "You can't just cry like that."

I ate some store-bought croissants for breakfast and missed my brandy and ice cream with coffee. I was thinking about a girl I knew in college. A very good looking girl. All the guys used to talk about how out-of-our-leagues she was. She and I got drunk one night. One of the first times I got really drunk. I played it up. We hung all over each other and became friends. I never thought about fucking her. We didn't see each other much, but when we did, we were close. I've got this great letter I could write her. She got a law degree and moved to Modesto. She was going to visit me this weekend if I would have had good enough phone dialogue. I didn't. At Dublin's last night I won and lost two pool games and couldn't hit enough bulls at the end to get better than a close second in a game of cricket with a sweet looker named Angie and her boyfriend and another guy. Her boyfriend won. She asked me for lessons, though. Heh. Carlin said he was the guy from "Swingers". Oh, yeah, I realized. The boy named Sue. I had three Jamesons and three Miller Lites. As I stepped into the men's room to piss, MTV personality Pauly Shore came out of a stall with another guy. A lovely red-headed barmaid informed me that they were open for lunch beginning at eleven AM. I think I have to read the Bible still today and do some typing. I'd like to put a big dent in Abbey and finish that so-so book of poetry. Need to eat something substantial and healthy. What else? Scraping bloody pepper shits uses up half a roll of toilet paper. Almost out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home