Friday, May 15, 2009

Kooks

Monday November 18
At Acapulco Bar and Grill I got a margarita on the rocks. The bartender, looks amphibious, told me they haven't had the trivia network in over ten months. Too bad. There used to be a fun little community of nerds here every night for the Tuesday Showdown. I drove around for about thirty minutes looking for a place to park and finally just drove onto campus and paid the five bucks to park in the garage. I walked down here past the botanical gardens (What other kind are there? A rose garden, by any other name, is still botanical, no?) and the sorority houses. I didn't see any sisters. I went to Leo Politi Elementary, and they hired me for Friday. I'm working Wedenesday at Sharp. If nothing comes up for tomorrow, I'll join Hollywood Beautifucation. Then I'll have only eight more days. I also dropped off a resume at John Burroughs and Los Angeles High School and Wilshire Crest Elementary. I just dropped some salsa on the page. See here it is. There's a kook wandering the bar talking at people. I envy him. I hardly talk to anyone. He's asking, "What's the last actual motion picture you saw in a motion picture house?" I'm going to see one of the movies here in Westwood Village, "Michael Collins", I guess, which starts in an hour. The kook says, "You like boxing?" The bartender sticks out his lower lip and shakes his head. "Well, what do you like?" the kook asks. "Dancing? Movies?"
I read a short by Alice Fulton called "Queen Wintergreen" about an old woman, proud, who is asked by an old man to marry her. She says no, then accedes, then drowns herself. Any day now, I'll start This Side of Paradise and get depressed about how great it is, and how young Fitzgerald was when he wrote it, and how old I am, and how bad I suck. We've babbled now, the kook and I, about Reagan, Bush, the Pope, Copernicus, Galileo, etc. That's fun. A couple of girls sat down and ordered margaritas. One of them is strawberry. I'm going to have to use credit to pay for mine.
I miss being a jackass. Now I'm only an asshole. The difference is huge.

Nah, it ain't nothin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home