Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thirty-Three Dismal Days Without a Drink

Fri August 2
I slept through a 1/2 hour of AM talk radio when the alarm went off this morning at 5:15. I hustled in and out of the shower, dried, applied pit rub, brushed, dressed, and caught a ride with Shirelle to the bus stop at Olympic and La Brea. I bought a paper at the donut shop there, read a few headlines, and boarded the 212 to Hollywood and Highland. Few commuters yet braved the dismal day aboard the cool bus. I got change at the McDonald's on Hollywood next door to the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. Then I rode the 420 to Chandler and Laurel Canyon. The US baseball team got clobbered by Japan, nixing a much heralded matchup with Cuba for the gold medal, and the Dodgers blew their lead against the Marlins, losing in the 14th. Out the window, the cloud-deadened sun, absent color, floated through the air. I got off at Terra Bella and walked from Laurel Canyon to school. I ate a biscuit and a ham link from the cafetria kitchen in the teacher's lounge. When class started the kids worked on their book reports. Then we went to the library.
Raul came to visit me from last year. I said, "Raul! What are you doing here? I'm not your teacher anymore. I thought I got rid of you last year."
He said, "Teacher, I'm like gum on your shoe."

Mariachi just called. They want to go out drinking. I haven't had a drink in 33 days. They're coming to pick me up. I'll guide 'em to Musso's, the Spotlight, Off Hollywood, Boardners, the Formosa, the upstairs blues joint, and maybe Dizzy Debbie.
Jeopardy is on. I feel like filling in the rest of this page with obscenities. I should've hit that AA meeting tonight. Tomorrow I have to go to the Norton Simon or the Southwest Museum. Sunday I've got tix for Dodgers/Braves.
The assignment this week is to create a monologue for a character in a magazine photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home