Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Robot Park

12/8/95
Bless my soul. Got Bishop Amat vs Loyola in the CIF high school football Division 1 championship game here on the TV.

I remember going to the Robot Park, we called it, in Cerritos when I was a boy and my mom still lived with us. We called it the Robot Park because the playground centerpiece was a huge (at that age) Robot that you could climb up inside to its head and scream up at the world from previously unreached heights. The robot's arms were tube slides from which you could make your emergency escape whenever the robot's innards became overrun by enemy aliens or little sisters. Behind the park was a steep concrete gully. In the spring it trickled water from I know not where. We would go down there and catch tadpoles in all stages of their metamorphosis toward toadhood. We must have been the first kids in America to catch frogs in a concrete gully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home