Monday, September 20, 2021

 

6-13-00 Tu 2:12 PM

I wrote about the club in my third-person page. The next day I woke up, still drunk, and walked down Patterson to the McDonald’s and got a quarter pounder with fries and mayo, and iced tea, a coffee, and an orange juice. I brought it back to the apartment and ate. Bernice came home. She came to the game with us. We picked up our tickets at will call. There were only three tickets, so we had to buy one Standing Room Only ticket for eight dollars. Our seats were in the shade behind home plate. I drank more Buds, Coors, and Old Styles. Bob singled and scored. I walked around the stadium to the bleachers, found an ATM, and took out a hundred bucks. I can say I took a shit in a Wrigley Field crapper. Got another beer. Went to the upper deck. You can see this brilliant swath of blue on the horizon over right field that is Lake Michigan. Back at my seat, I told Bernie the truth about married life. Mac went back to the house. Sosa homered, but the Tigers won. Bob said he’d have us to the clubhouse if they won, but Mac never came back. Mitch and Bernie and I went to Murphy’s, one of the pubs across from the stadium. It was like New Year’s Eve. Thousands of people drank in the streets. The hardest part was pissing, which I was doing about as often as the els go by. You couldn’t get into the bathroom, so I kept staggering over to under an el rail support and pissing in the weeds. It seemed like a very Chicagoan experience. I didn’t talk to hardly anyone. Bernie, and Mitch went back to look for Mac at the flat. I hung out and drank a few more beers. Took some pictures. I walked back along Waveland, past the fire station to Bernie’s. Drank beer there. A friend of Bernie’s, another stewardess named Nicole came over. I drank while the girls got ready to take us to the Hancock building. I peed on a tree in front of the Hancock building. Hundreds of people waited in line to go up to the top. An elevator opened as we walked by, though, and we slipped in. No one protested. We made friends with a couple of Swiss guys. I bought a round for us to drink while we waited to be seated. I don’t remember much except for how flat and far the city lights stretch across the dark plain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home