Monday, June 30, 2014

When I Tried Out for Jeopardy

7-14-98 Tu 1:40 PM
Well, the bug spray didn't kill me.  I'm staying home to write in here today so I don't spend any money.  The Angel's are losing a day game to the A's. What else?  That came awfully quick today.  What else? Yikes!  There's another one. 3:51 PM  I just ate an entire medium pizza, and I dipped every bite in Alfredo sauce: More evidence of my total lack of will power and determination. My brow sweats from the work of getting that pizza down.  I can't eat wisely or work on Jim.  Why is that?  What's so hard about
7-15-98 1:20 PM W
I'm in the bar at Sportsman's Inn up on Ventura Boulevard.  I'm having a screwdriver.  Shirelle brought me up here to drop off some of her headshots and bathing suit shots to some horny production assistant who complimented her on her legs and said he had some work for her.  You can imagine.  She was here yesterday playing set mother for Susan Turner's son who's making a commercial here at the pool.  Susan invited Shirelle and me to San Diego and to some supposed VIP party at Papa's n Beer in Rosarito.  Shirelle wants to go.  I have mixed feelings, but I mostly don't want to go.  "Rosarito can get pretty ugly," I tell h      8:17 PM  That was the third pen to run out on me in three days.  I'm at my night school class. Shirelle kept pestering me there at the bar.  I finally said, "Fine, we'll go."  As usual, once I relented, she went and told Susan we wereN'T going.  What I wasn't saying was that I don't trust Susan.  She's a big horn-dog partier, and she gets Shirelle in trouble.  She fucks different dudes all the time.  I know this because she always tells me so.  A few years ago, Shirelle was house sitting for Susan and
7-16-98 6:15 PM Th
I guess I'll have to finish that story another time.  I tried out for "Jeopardy!" today.  I passed the test and was invited to stay for a mock game.  I'm not sure I was energetic enough for them. I think I even came off a bit dull, even though I answered almost all the questions.      I had a beer while I tried on shirts and ties before the audtion.  There was a glass of wine that Shirelle didn't finish the night before.  I drank it.  The last thing I did before I left the house was I took a big gulp of chilled bourbon.  Then, on the way to Sony, I stopped at Q's by UCLA to play the National Trivia Network and warm up.  In two tries, I racked up the month's two highest scores.  I had a beer and a turkey sandwich and a glass of Bushmill's Irish whiskey. Then I had a cup of coffee.  Then I drove to the Sony lot. I completed the crossword puzzle while we waited with about a hundred other people.  The "Wheel of Fortune" line had about ten times our number.  Two guys led us to the set where we took a fifty-question test.  It was kind of hard.  Not multiple choice.  Write in the answer.  If you missed more than fifteen you were cut.  I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but when they called the names of people, they called my name third.  About twenty of us passed the test.  Then we played the mock game with the buzzers. They said they were looking for personality and gamesmanship.  It was weird because they just called on whoever regardless of when you rang in so everyone would get a chance.  I got called twice.  I answered both my questions correctly, but I almost forgot to phrase one of my answers as a question.  I don't know if they'll hold that against me, and I kept ringing in too early, so that might be a strike, too, and finally, I just said I was teacher, and that if I won enough money, I'd take some time off one of my jobs to work on a novel I'm trying to write.  I think I came across as kind of a bore.  Oh, well.  All I can do now is wait and see if they call.  I wish I would have been more energetic or suave or commanding or something.  Oh, well.  Fuckem.  The traffic bit on the way back.  Shirelle wants us to go to the beach tomorrow. I've got to water color those two pages I accidentally skipped in this journal or something.  Who knows what, though?  I haven't typed yet today.  Still got to call that Smitty dude.  We're not going to San Diego and Rosarito it looks like.  Buck Owens is playing at the Santa Monica Pier tonight.  Thing's going, but I'm stuck here at work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home